Watching kindergarteners “play” “baseball” is a one-hour comedy routine. Among the gems:
– a cute little boy who hits the ball, stares at it open-mouthed, and then, with all the parents shouting for him to run, runs…to third base.
– Having been thrown out at third, everybody says, “First base, buddy! First base!” He proceeds to run straight across the infield, just in time to get out again at first. (Good thing nobody actually gets “out” at age 5.)
– (mother in the stands, to a boy at bat): “Billy! No lightsabers!”
– the little girl standing at home plate crying as the coach throws her pitches, which she doesn’t really try to hit, and when she does hit one by accident, she turns to the backstop and wails, “MOOOOM!” At which point the long-suffering mom jogs with her to first base.
– Michael, at first base, dancing/making friends with the runner he’s supposed to be guarding.
– a batter who hits the ball, then runs after it and fields it himself.
Have a nice Labor Day weekend! I may or may not blog on Monday. I leave myself the option to take the day off.